Minutes from meeting held 27th June 2019 @ 8pm in the Village Hal
SAMPFORDS’ PARISH COUNCIL
MINUTES OF MEETING
Held 27TH June 2019 @ 8pm in the Village Hall
Mr William Burton Cncl Simon Walshe
Mr William Parker Mrs Kay Adye
Mr Graham Keen Mr Gordon Deuce
Mrs Rhian Chappell
Mrs Jane Lawrence
Mr James woods
Ms Kath Thompson
Miss Wendy Peacock (Clerk)
Cncl Mr Alan Storah
Members of the Public.
01 Public Forum
02 Apologies for absence
Mrs Kay Adye and Mr Gordon Duece
03 Declaration of Interest from Members
Jane Lawrence Sampfords' Village Hall.
04 To approve Minutes from the last meeting held on 07th March 2019
The minutes were agreed and signed.
05 Matters Arising:
05.1 Graffiti at Highgates Farm
WP has contacted Highway Rangers and is awaiting response.
05.2 Road sign by church damaged
WP has contacted Highway Rangers and is awaiting response.
05.3 Battery for De-Fib machine
RC has ordered a new one and this it has been replaced
05.4 Phone Box at Little Sampford removal
Phone box is currently still there.
Ann Wolstenholm has requested an increase in the Play area rent from £100 per annum to £150 per annum. This was agreed unanimously by all as there has been no increase for years.
07 Reports from County and District Councillors
Report of Alan Storah to The Sampfords’ Parish Council 27thJune 2019
The new administration has increased the number of Cabinet Portfolios with 10 holders of executive office in place of 6. Several portfolio functions have been created which were not recognised individually in the previous Administration, namely those for: Culture, Education, Tourism and Heritage; Environment and Green Issues as well as Equalities; Sports and Leisure; and Infrastructure, Transport and Stansted Airport. It is intended that the greater number of executive roles created at Cabinet level will enable better implementation of policies and result in a more thorough and considered approach towards the views of Uttlesford residents than has hitherto been the case.
3. Local Plan
The Local Plan examination is scheduled to take place at UDC’s offices during the first and third weeks of July commence on Tuesday 2nd. However, as a consequence of the change in administration of the council and that ‘Residents for Uttlesford’ made representations about the plan, the Inspectors have written to the Council. They consider that those representations go to the heart of the Plan’s strategy and question whether the plan is supported by an adequate, up-to-date and relevant evidence base. The Inspectors have therefore asked them to clarify their position in relation to the submitted Local Plan by Friday 27 June.
Consequently, at the start of the first hearing session, the Inspectors will ask the Council to confirm whether it continues to think that it has submitted a plan which is sound and ready for examination and therefore, whether it still supports it. They state that if the Council no longer supports key aspects of the plan it has submitted, the appropriate action would be to consider withdrawing that plan from examination.
Perhaps not surprisingly, my role makes full use of my background as a town planner. As such I sit on the Planning Committee, the Planning Policy Working Group, the Garden Communities Delivery Member Governance Board, the Governance, Audit and Performance Committee and am a substitute member of the Scrutiny Committee.
4. Stansted Airport
An Extraordinary Council meeting will take place at 4pm on Friday 28th June. The 2 items on the agenda are:
- To consider the following motion:
To receive a petition (organised by Stop Stansted Expansion) ‘Refer Stansted Airport
Planning Application back to Uttlesford Planning Committee’.
“To instruct the Chief Executive and fellow officers not to issue the Planning Decision Notice for planning application UTT/18/0460/FUL until members have had an opportunity to review and obtain independent legal corroboration that the legal advice provided to officers, including the QC opinion referred to by the Leader of the Council on 9th April 2019, confirms that the proposed Section 106 Agreement with Stansted Airport Limited fully complies with the Resolution approved by the Planning Committee on 14 November 2018 such that officers re lawfully empowered to conclude and seal the Agreement without further reference to the Planning Committee.”
5. Changes to Planning Committee processes
Changes are planned in the coming months as to the extent to which Parish Councils and residents may make submissions to the Planning Committee. This is with a view to providing both improved public access and greater accountability on the part of Councillors.
WB asked if the Planning committee were experts or do they not really know what is being proposed. WB also expressed his frustration that the PC are asked for their opinion on planning applications but seem to be ignored. The main case being the “Big Bungalow” over the bridge where the original planning application was for the house to have the meeting Hall in the basement and the old bungalow knocked down. But the planning went through build the house AND now to convert the bungalow into the meeting hall. Also, the original planning was for 4 vehicles which has now increased to 15 vehicles and it seems that this also has been passed despite the PC’s disapproval. As GD put it, the Brethren seem to be “planning by stealth”. AS has asked to have all correspondence regarding the PC views and he will look into it.
6. Traffic schemes
Suggestions for any county-funded traffic schemes in the parish would be welcomed.
The process for making requests to the Uttlesford Local Highways Panel (LHP) has been amended. Any Parishes or Councillors wishing to make a submission for the Uttlesford LHP to consider funding will need to complete the relevant form and send it to the representing County Member in the first instance. If your County Member is in support of your scheme then s/he will submit it to me as the Uttlesford Highway Liaison Officer to put through the validation process and this will then appear as a request on the ‘schemes awaiting funding’ list which is discussed at the quarterly LHP meetings. Without the support of the County Members then a scheme cannot progress to this stage so please do keep your County Members involved in all scheme related discussions.
7. Uttlesford Community Travel
I have been approached by Uttlesford Community Travel (UCT) who wish to publicise their services. Whilst canvassing, it became apparent that public transport and ‘rural isolation’ is an important issue in this Ward and I intend to examine the issue with a view to improving the situation if at all possible. UCT would be an integral part of the services available. I
therefore, wonder to what extent the council is aware of them and whether their services could be publicised. The following paragraph summarises who they are and what they offer.
Uttlesford Community Travel (UCT) is a charity offering subsidised safe travel either on their own buses or hospital cars. They provide services to the residents of Uttlesford who find it difficult to access normal public transport, the over 60’s, the disabled and those who are rurally isolated. The services include taking people shopping, to the hairdressers, to visit friends, garden centres, just about anywhere, as well as all types of medical appointments. All UCT minibuses are wheelchair accessible and all drivers are fully trained and checked.
It was suggested that UDC publish information in the Ambo regarding transport as there may be Parishioner’s that do not have access to the internet. GK will send details of DART to JL so she can also publish some information in the Ambo.
8. Ward Councillors’ Initiative
All District Councillors are each allocated £2,000 to spend on good causes within their ward. I would there be pleased to know if this Council has any suggestions although, as you will appreciate, I will also be posing the same question to the three other parish councils. Potentially suitable community projects and/or causes include, for example:
WP to propose that The Sampfords’ Youth Club be considered as they are struggling for funds.
Any suggestions from the Parish Council would be welcomed.
08 Reports from Parish Councillors on their proposed area of responsibility
It was unanimously agreed that the VHC should go ahead and order the chairs.
08.1 Play Area
It was agreed that WP and KT get a price for the removal of the wooden activity beam and that it be replaced with a roundabout.
08.2 Grass Cutting and Trees
Chris Butcher has once again done a fantastic job with the grass cutting. The High Path has been cut back this week and again is looking great. WP to send a note of thanks from the PC.
The latest report is in the Ambo.
08.4 Website and IT, Including Broadband
There was a technical issue with the website, but it is all sorted now. Facebook page proving to be very well received with lots of “likes and shares”.
08.5 Liaison with Village Organisations
08.6 Village Hall
The bookings are good, and fundraising is successful. The Pop-Up Pub is doing well and is very well supported. The next Pop Up Pub is Saturday 13th July at the Cricket Pavilion from 3pm. There is a charity bike run coming at around 4.30pm, raising funds for Cancer research.
The Flower Show and Fete is also on the 13th July.
The WI will be holding a fundraising event Saturday 29th June 10am – 12.30 at Mary Greens, Moor End and a proportion of the profits to go to Great Sampford Primary school.
08.8 Highways and Footpaths
Thank you to Kath Thompson who has strimmed the footpath behind Monks Corner and also cut back the bushes beside the old Red Lion Pub.
Footpath 29 (at the top of the cricket pitch leading to Spare Penny Lane) is no longer a footpath. The public are asked NOT to use it anymore. Residents have put up signs and these are to be adhered to.
UTT/19/1217/HHF Great Hall Barn Parsonage Farm Lane. No Objections
Flegygen Solar PV development, Terriers Farm, Thaxted. No Objections
Current Account as of 27/06/19 £25,604.85
Savings account as of 27/06/19 £23,489.75
JW asked what the savings account was for. The PC were advised to have a savings account of no less than double the precept amount in case of any major expenditure and to underwrite the Village Hall. As this account is now at a good level and the Village Hall is holding its own, the decision was made to lower the precept in 2018/2019.
Ratification for following cheque previously signed: -
100870 Community Heartbeat £ 170.00
100871 ROSPA play area inspection £ 124.40
100872 MITIE 70690/91778070 £ 90.18
100873 Clerk Wages £ 717.66
Following cheques to be signed: -
100874 Gt Sampford Baptist Church £ 200.00
09.1 Signing of end of year accounts
09.01 The end of year accounts were signed as correct. WP to send to PKF Littlejohn
10 Further items for discussion.
Hedges on Finchingfield road. These need cutting back. WP to draft a letter to all owners of hedges and trees that overhang paths and roads to politely ask them to cut them back.
RH asked if a thank you card could be sent to Lucinda May that maintains the De-Fib at Little Sampford.
KT asked that a thank you card be sent to Margerett Suckling for looking after the Jubilee garden by the bridge.
WP to once again contact Highways regarding the speed limit extension at all approaches to the Village. The More end 30mph sign be moved to before the hill, the 30mph be extended to Hill Farm and a 40mph limit be set to Hawkins Hill.
WP also to contact highways regarding the Sat Nav issue through Spare Penny Lane.
WB has raised these concerns with Cncl S Walshe and is still waiting for a response.
Date of next Meeting Thursday 26th September 2019 @ 8pm in the Village Hall
William thanked everyone for coming
Meeting Closed at 21:12