Held 17th January 2019 @ 8pm in the Village Hall
SAMPFORDS’ PARISH COUNCIL
MINUTES OF MEETING
Held 17th January 2019 @ 8pm in the Village Hall
Mr William Burton Cncl Simon Howell
Mr George Smith Mrs Lynne Bowles
Mr Graham Keen
Mrs Rhian Chappell
Mr Gordon Deuce
Mrs Jane Lawrence
Mrs Kay Adye
Ms Kath Thompson
Miss Wendy Peacock (Clerk)
Members of the Public.
113 Public Forum
114 Apologies for absence
Cncl Simon Howell and Mrs Lynne Bowles
115 Declaration of Interest from Members
Jane Lawrence and Kay Adye declared an interest, The Village Hall.
George Smith declared an interest, the Cricket Club
116 To approve Minutes from the last meeting held on 25/10/18
The minutes were not agreed as Kay was left off. Amended minutes to be signed at the next meeting, 07/03/19
117 Matters Arising:
117.1 20 Is Plenty Signs
Signs have been handed to KT and GK to be put up.
117.2 Hedges at top of Spare Penny Lane South
These have now been done by the Council.
117.3 Spare Penny Lane North. WB has received information that the lane was resurfaced back in the 1970’s by the council and that a member of the public threatened to put up bollards to stop lorries from using the lane and damaging the banks whist building work was carried out a few years ago. The MOP was informed that he could not do this as the road belongs to the council. WB has e-mailed Cncl Simon Walsh with all information gathered and is waiting for a response.
117.4 Dead Elm Tree on footpath by Red Lion. GK will again contact Chris Butcher to get this removed.
GK was contacted by an upset MOtP regarding vehicles again driving on the green opposite the Phone Library (by the river) despite there being signs. WP to put a notice in the Sampfords' Signal asking people to not drive on the grass.
WB has been in contact with another MOtP regarding the trees in the churchyard. The MOtP feels that they are too tall and pose a risk to his house if they were to fall. The PC are not in a position to do anything about the height as the trees have been checked and they are healthy and safe and have Tree Preservation Orders on them. WP to check the insurance to see what cover there is just in case they do fall.
119 Reports from County and District Councillors
119 Village Hall Chairs
The Village Hall Committee are in the process of purchasing new chairs for the hall. The cost will be around £7000.00. As the PC is the Sole Trustee of the Village Hall, the Council must agree to this amount being spent. The VHC have the funds available as they have been fundraising for many months for this purchase and a grant has been applied for.
It was unanimously agreed that the VHC should go ahead and order the chairs.
121 Reports from Parish Councillors on their proposed area of responsibility
121.1 Play Area
Nothing to report. The council actually emptied the bins before Christmas. This is normally done by KT. There have been no further reports of rats.
121.2 Grass Cutting and Trees
Chris Butcher has not yet removed the dead elm tree along by the pub so GK will contact him again.
The latest report will be published in the Ambo.
121.4 Website and IT, Including Broadband
The new website is nearly ready. WP and RC just need to be shown how to run it which they will do in the next couple of weeks. The old website has been taken down but unsure as to who and why this is. The Facebook page is proving very popular and well seen.
121.5 Liaison with Village Organisations
Jill Palmer has stood down from Youth Club after 19 years. Tracy Hitchin has taken over as Treasurer. Numbers are down at the moment but that is due to the season and should pick up again in the spring. There are a number of activities in the pipeline for YC, scuba diving and more cookery sessions. The Helpers are to attend a child protection course run by The Essex Girls and Boys Club.
121.6 Village Hall
The bookings are good and fundraising is successful. The calendar has raised nearly £500 and the New Year’s Eve party was a great success and also raised nearly £300. There is the annual Team Spirit quiz booked for 9th March.
The indoor cricket continues to be successful however struggling for members. The Cricket Club quiz is on the 09th February.
121.8 Highways and Footpaths
Footpath 29 through past Gill Mill has not yet been officially re-instated. Unfortunately, the Parish Council can do nothing about members of the public using it.
122 Budget 2018/2019
The budget will be much the same as last year with no major payments due. WB feels that the precept should go down from £15000 to £12000 as the PC have sufficient funds at present.
It was unanimously agreed by all councillors to cut the precept to £12000.
123.1 UTT/18/3446/HFF Orchard Cottage Moor End. No Objections
123.2 UTT/18/1028/FUL Horrels House. This was refused by Uttlesford and an appeal has been sent to the secretary of the state. The PC do not need to do anything as their objection will have been sent. Uttlesford rejected the planning on the same grounds as the PC, Too close to the fence and too big.
Current Account as of 31/12/18 £24286.33
Savings account as of 31/12/18 £25579.34
Ratification for following cheque previously signed:-
100856 Village Calendar sponsor £50.00
100857 Clerk Wages £717.66
100858 Josh Watson Tree Services £1000.00
Following cheques to be signed: -
100856 Mitie Pest Control £80.19
125 Further items for discussion.
125.1 The Red Lion Public House
In the past the pub was an asset to the community. RC will see if this can be re-instated. The Parish Council want it to remain as a Public House and will resist any change of use strongly.
125.2 Litter Pick
WP to contact the Lindsell’s to ask if they are once again happy to help with this and if it can be done on the 9th March. WP to ask the Village Hall if they will organise the refreshments this year.
125.3 Re-election of Parish Councillors’
At the next meeting, WB will ask all Parish Councillors if they wish to stand again. GS has advised that he will be unable to stand for re-election as he has moved away from the village.
Date of next Meeting Thursday 07th March 2019 @ 8pm in the Village Hall
William thanked everyone for coming
Meeting Closed at 21:05